• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Forced to Resign

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

megoodwn

My husband worked for a locally family owned company (In Illinois) for 30 years until last week. He was FORCED to resign. He is 56 and has always been a great employee with great quarterly reviews. But, over the last few years he has been demoted time and time again (for no apparant reason) and seen younger guys end up to be his boss. His boss suspended him last week for taking a premium (a freebie) which he said is against company policy, even though he has known for years that MANY employees have taken them, many of them who are still with the company today. He told my husband that he just didn't think he could continue to work for the company under the circumstances and that he should put in his resignation. Also, besides my husband's age, my husband was highly paid and very knowledgeable in his field, much to the dislike of his younger boss. He was offered no severance pay after 30 years of devoted service. He only received his vacation pay. Should he seek legal advice? We think he was forced to resign unfairly, but does he have a case?

L

loku

Age discrimination?

This sounds like it could be age discrimination; however, I have no idea if it could be proved. I believe in the circumstances, your husband ought to have an employment law attorney in your state evaluate the evidence to see if there is a case for age discrimination.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">