• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Forced to Resign in Texas

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MilocyWilleford

What is the name of your state?undefined During a staff meeting, our manager stated that the employee's had not been getting all of their paperwork done during work hours and that business was starting to pick up. She said word for word that the paperwork needed to get done on our own time if we could not get it done in the time she had schedualed for us to be at work. She said she didn't care if we had to stay in from lunch or at home on our own time, JUST GET IT DONE. I witnessed an employee taking her files home that night to get caught up. I wasn't behind, so I didn't. I felt guilty because that night I didn't feel like part of the "TEAM" we always we working on in staff meetings so the next evening I took my work home to get ahead for the next day since I wasn't behind. I felt so good getting ahead only to be called in the next afternoon to an office space where our part time manager was seated. The first thing out of her mouth was "I need a letter of resignation." I was confused and asked why. She went on to tell me I breached company policy for taking home confidential information about clients. First of all, there was nothing different in the information that I took home than the other employees did. I told her that I was just trying to get ahead like she had asked. She told me what the letter had to say and I wrote it. I had to write three different letters until they were to her perfection. This was humiliating and i began to cry and plead that I meant no harm and that I loved my job. I asked her to shut the door because people could hear us and see us when walking down the hall. I was so embarrassed. I asked her why I needed to resign and she said she could fire me, but that if I used them on my resume, she wouls have to tell anyone calling for a reference that I was fired for breach of company policy. ILLEGAL MUCH??? She said it would be "better for me" if I resigned so she could tell job prospects that I resigned for "personal" reseans. Shoudl I get a lawyer? I feel this situation was a cop out to fire me because I had been having problems the week before with my babysitter. They kept my job in the local paper and interviewed for my position the entire time I worked there. I feel they found someone with no "baggage" possibly to replace me and just waited for the first situation. I feel I could have been warned even written up...not fired(forced to resign). Oh yeah, and when I asked her if she would please show me in the policy manual the policy I "breached". SHe said no it didn't matter. It was too late for that. I simply told her I needed to see it to prove to myself that I knew better since I had read the policies many times and could remember nothing of the sort. I was denied the right to see it. HELP ME!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Your situation is quite unfortunate and possibly unfair but nothing you describe in your post violates any laws, including their saying that you were fired for breach of company policy.

MilocyWilleford

Oh Well

I thought it was illegal in Texas for a past employer to give that info if someone called for a job reference. Is it illegal for them to ask if you have kids and what your daycare arrangments are during your interview?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I thought it was illegal in Texas for a past employer to give that info if someone called for a job reference.

I don't know where so many people get that idea but no, it is not illegal in Texas or any other state for an employer to give that information in a job reference. The pervasive belief that an employer can only give dates of employment, job title, salary history and rehire status is completely erroneous. An employer may legally give any information that is true or represents their honest opinion. In fact, most states have a law that holds an employer harmless for the results of a truthful or supportable reference, even if negative.

Is it illegal for them to ask if you have kids and what your daycare arrangments are during your interview?

No, it isn't. In fact, I don't think it's unreasonable for them to want assurance that you won't be taking extra time off to deal with daycare arrangements. In some states (Texas is NOT one of them) it would be illegal to use this information in making the hiring decision, but it is not illegal to ask the question.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">