• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Forced Resignation from School District

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Stevensevil

Hello. I was forced to resign from one of the largest school districts in TEXAS on the last day of school with no warning. I am a teacher aide with no contract.

I was not planning to come back next year, but the problem with me signing off on the resignation is that it meant that I resigned from the district, not just the particular school that I work at. I am planning on being a teacher next year in this district so I cannot have that. The principal said overall she was not happy with my work.

I didn't read carefully what I was signing and just thought I was resigning from the school, I didn't find out that I resigned from the district until I got home and read it. There were two principals in the room and I was uncomfortable and didn't want to read through it... I just wanted out of there. Does the principal have the right to make me resign from the entire school district? She said if I did not resign, she would "start the termination process immediately". I am in a teacher's union but I cannot call them until Monday so I'm curious what you guys would have to say.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TEXAS

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If the principal is not happy with your work as a teacher's aide, what makes you think that the same district would hire you as a teacher?

Stevensevil

I am a qualified certified teacher. The principal is unprofessional. My immediate supervisor and the teachers that I have co-taught with would have nothing to bad to say about me and will be my references during my job search. Your comment isn't legal advice or helpful in anyway. :confused:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Well, no one here can give you legal advice. That's not what this site is for. It's for general legal information. Only an attorney in your state can give you specific legal advice. And since we have not read your union contract, we can't even give you much in the way general information.

However, whether you like it or not, it is helpful for you to be aware that it is not as easy as you appear to think. "I am planning to be a teacher in this district next year" - ya think? I have news for you, pal, just because you're planning it doesn't mean the district has to hire you.

Perky

I am a qualified certified teacher. The principal is unprofessional. My immediate supervisor and the teachers that I have co-taught with would have nothing to bad to say about me and will be my references during my job search. Your comment isn't legal advice or helpful in anyway. :confused:
I disagree. It is likely and probable that any other principal in the district would contact your former principal prior to hiring you, whether you list her as a reference or not.

I'm not familiar with school district organization in Texas. Are the schools run independently of the district? Generally, one doesn't resign from a school; one resigns from a district. Also, when terminated in most districts, one isn't terminated from the school, but from the entire district. Are you sure your district is different?

Last edited:

Stevensevil

The school has a high turn over rate and teachers put in their resignation all the time and simply go to another school in the district. And yes, they might contact my principal even if I don't list her as a reference, but they might not and just speak to my immediate supervisor. Either way, she won't be listed. The principal principal has never observed my work, and she was out on maternity leave half the year, so I was never planning on using her as a reference. I'll call the union first thing tomorrow morning, thanks!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">