• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Forced to solicit life insurance though not licensed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mistersale

I am a licensed fire-and-casualty insurance agent in California (though I am also licensed in fifteen other states). It is my job to take inbounds/make outbounds and sell personal lines insurance. The agency I work for also sells life and health insurance, and has agents licensed for this.
The agency is now giving the fire-and-casualty agents a quota of 3 life insurance solicitations a week (that is, through the course of personal lines quote, we are to offer a life insurance quote and transfer to a life agent). If we do not make our quota, we are to be taken "off the phones" and forced to make outbound calls for the sole purpose of soliciting life insurance. Is this not a violation of my fire and casualty license? I objected on these grounds, and my employer is now threatening to terminate my employment if I do not acquiesce. They say it is not soliciting. The definition of solicit is: to ask for, to petition, to entreat. By calling a customer with the sole aim of asking them if they would like life insurance (and being prevent from transacting personal lines insurance for which I am licensed), is this not violating me and my license? And what is my recourse if I am terminated?

longneck

report this higher up than you already have, say to your company's in-house council or chief compliance officer. get a response in writing (and keep a copy in a safe place outside the office). if they say it's ok, then your employer can terminate you if you don't meet quota. if they say it's not ok, then you may have cause for action if you are fired and your state has applicable whistle-blower laws.

if they indicate that what you are doing is legal, you should also contact a lawyer with insurance and securities experience outside your firm, just to cover yourself. if you find out that what you are doing is, in fact, illegal, use your company's confidential reporting line to report your findings.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">