• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Forced to take a combined job

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

troy

What is the name of your state? SC
I have been working for a government agency for 3 years as an business manager. My boss recently approached me with the idea of combining my job with the pr job and giving me an 10% increase now and possibly a 10% increase 6 months down the road. Now my boss has been paying someone a fulltime salary for years to do this job, but the lady that is currently in the job has only been in it for a year and a half and he stripped the job down and passed off portions to me and others. Yes her job can be done by someone parttime currently. Anyway, after asking me 5 times to take the job and me refusing to take 10%, he placed an ad in the newspaper as a combined job. This happen over a week ago and he has not gotten any good leads...so now he has decided to give the job to someone in the office that is not qualified and does not have the accounting or pr background. I have heard through the grapevine that I will be approached next week about training this person. If I refuse to train this person and I am fired, does this mean I am disqualified from getting unemployment? Also do I have any other actions I could take?

mlane58

I refuse to train this person and I am fired, does this mean I am disqualified from getting unemployment?
Only your state's unemployment division can mqake that determination
Also do I have any other actions I could take?
Nothing as you are an at will employee (unless you have a bona fide contract) your employer can terminate your employment for any reason they see fit as long as it isn't illegal under Title VII.

Beth3

If I refuse to train this person and I am fired, does this mean I am disqualified from getting unemployment? Yep. Refusing to train this person is insubordination and I have no doubt you would be denied UC benefits.

Also do I have any other actions I could take? Start looking for a new job. If I were you boss, I would be most unhappy with your attitude and refusal to take on any new responsibilities. I wouldn't be surprised if he started looking for a replacement for you once he got this other position squared away.

troy

so does that mean you would willing train someone to do your job even though you know you will be let go at the end of that phase?

Beth3

If I wanted to keep receiving a paycheck as long as I could, have as much time as possible to find a new job, and be eligible for unemployment benefits if I needed them, you bet I would.

troy

I guess I just feel it is just a little shady and underhanded and not sure I can get past that.

Beth3

Yes, it's an uncomfortable situation but it happens all the time due to business necessities.

Zephyr

for an extra 20% you wouldn't take on some more responsibilities?

that is a significant raise- if you were making 40k that would bring you up to 48k per year.....I know I would love an extra 8k a year :rolleyes:

troy

you say more responsibilites as if it is a small task. here is a list of what my boss want me to take on:

Maintain personnel records
Maintain training files & schedule training
Payroll for salary & hourly
Call in taxes
Hiring & Check references
Maintain critical incident manual
Handle workers comp issues
Maintain annual & sick leave
Prepare all tax reports
Maintain policy & procedure manual
Maintain directives
Pay bills for Bakery & coffee shop
Order Supplies for Bakery & coffee Shop
Reconcile agency bank statement
Prepare & issue w2s

here is a list of what i currently handle:

Process/Print Checks
Order Supplies for 3 locations (cleaning, toiletries, office, etc.)
Prepare monthly billing for several locations
Reconcile Checkbooks for 8 individuals (will be 12 by spring next year)
Deposit all incoming monies & enter info in Cash Receipts program
Maintain computer program with updates and set up new accounts & vendors
Handle telephone equipment issues
Handle computer equipment/software issues
Order Supplies and handle issues with postage machine and copier (call in xerox info monthly)
Financial Statements to Board, Auditors & others (Monthly, Quarterly, Annually)
Collect Rent & handle any issues dealing with tenants (maintenance or whatever they need)
Prepare Budget each fiscal year
Monthly Journal Entries & allocations
Follow up on any maintenance issues for 3 locations
Monitor credit card purchases
Prepare applications/grants for funding various locations

the pr part just seem like a lot for 10%. they is no guarantee i will ever get the other 10%. my boss has a tendency to forget.

Zephyr

troy said:
you say more responsibilites as if it is a small task. here is a list of what my boss want me to take on:

Maintain personnel records
Maintain training files & schedule training
Payroll for salary & hourly
Call in taxes
Hiring & Check references
Maintain critical incident manual
Handle workers comp issues
Maintain annual & sick leave
Prepare all tax reports
Maintain policy & procedure manual
Maintain directives
Pay bills for Bakery & coffee shop
Order Supplies for Bakery & coffee Shop
Reconcile agency bank statement
Prepare & issue w2s

here is a list of what i currently handle:

Process/Print Checks
Order Supplies for 3 locations (cleaning, toiletries, office, etc.)
Prepare monthly billing for several locations
Reconcile Checkbooks for 8 individuals (will be 12 by spring next year)
Deposit all incoming monies & enter info in Cash Receipts program
Maintain computer program with updates and set up new accounts & vendors
Handle telephone equipment issues
Handle computer equipment/software issues
Order Supplies and handle issues with postage machine and copier (call in xerox info monthly)
Financial Statements to Board, Auditors & others (Monthly, Quarterly, Annually)
Collect Rent & handle any issues dealing with tenants (maintenance or whatever they need)
Prepare Budget each fiscal year
Monthly Journal Entries & allocations
Follow up on any maintenance issues for 3 locations
Monitor credit card purchases
Prepare applications/grants for funding various locations

the pr part just seem like a lot for 10%. they is no guarantee i will ever get the other 10%. my boss has a tendency to forget.

do you realize how many of those items from each list are actually connected to each other? I would do it in a minute, oh wait I already did where I work now.

and you could just ask him for the 20% right away, or since you will be doing all the paying ask him for something in writing to put in your personnel file to show when the other 10% should go into effect.

troy

plus i forgot to mention the fact that i would have no backup. i would be it. if i am sick or my kids are sick, no backup. just a crazy situation.

i guess if i did not feel i was being drastically underpaid, it would be different.

Beth3

You're boss could require you take on all that for NO increase in pay. If you're afraid your boss will forget about the second pay increase, ask for it upfront as Zephyr suggested or ask for him to put it in a memo with one copy for you and one copy for your personnel file. Then in six months time, remind him of the second pay increase and show him a copy of the memo.

troy

i really think it is too late at this point to have discussions with him since he has:

1. placed an ad in our local newspaper for the combined job

2. i heard through the grapevine he is going to offer the job to another coworker who has no background in either financials or pr...but he feels with proper training she will do fine.

also i failed to mention that her boss told my boss she is not confident that the person he want to hire can do the job. but my boss make very impulsive decisions...right or wrong.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">