• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Forced to take vaccine or be fired

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rossetta

What is the name of your state? Michigan

Is it legal for my place of employment to FORCE me to have a flu vaccination? I understand the need for TB vaccinations and Hep B vaccinations, but a "flu shot" every year? They don't even know what strain of the flu will hit our area or when, it's all a big guessing game, and now I am to be forced to have that serum shoved into my arm or be fired. I can't see how this is right. Supposedly I can only opt out if I had a _severe_ allergic reaction in the past or for religious reasons (and I need written documentation of this from a doctor or priest/pastor).

I had a moderate allergic reaction to a shot about ten years ago, but it happened over a weekend and there is no documentation about it as I was not hospitalized, I was only very ill and missed a day of work the following week.

I do not go to doctor's and I do not injest medicines over the counter or otherwise. I had the major vaccinations that I am required to have, and this year they added a yearly flu vaccination to the list of required vaccines.

What do you think?

lealea1005

What is the name of your state? Michigan

Is it legal for my place of employment to FORCE me to have a flu vaccination? I understand the need for TB vaccinations and Hep B vaccinations, but a "flu shot" every year? They don't even know what strain of the flu will hit our area or when, it's all a big guessing game, and now I am to be forced to have that serum shoved into my arm or be fired. I can't see how this is right. Supposedly I can only opt out if I had a _severe_ allergic reaction in the past or for religious reasons (and I need written documentation of this from a doctor or priest/pastor).

I had a moderate allergic reaction to a shot about ten years ago, but it happened over a weekend and there is no documentation about it as I was not hospitalized, I was only very ill and missed a day of work the following week.

I do not go to doctor's and I do not injest medicines over the counter or otherwise. I had the major vaccinations that I am required to have, and this year they added a yearly flu vaccination to the list of required vaccines.

What do you think?

Do you work with or around people who are immuno-compromised?

Beth3

If they want to require their employees to get a flu shot, they can. You are free to refuse. They are free to fire you. End of story.

rossetta

For the great majority of the time I work with outpatients, so I am not in an area that directly deals with the immunosuppressed/immunocompromised. But, on occasion, I am sent into the inpatient area of the hospital for a few hours to help out if they are swamped with work and I have outpatient appointment cancellations. So, yes, I am around the immunosuppressed/immunocompromised occasionally.

I guess I have to take this vaccine or find a new job, huh?

I'm already in trouble for using too many sick days in a six month period because my infant son was sick, so if the shot makes me sick again, I could be fired for missing work. Rather a catch-22 I'd say.

:c(

Oh well.

Betty

Yes, you have to take the flu shot or suffer whatever consequences the employer decides to take for not taking the shot. I can definitely see why they would want you to take the shot where you work.

Were you not eligible for FMLA when you took time off for your sick infant?

ecmst12

If you actually get the flu, you'll miss a lot more then one or 2 days, and your chance of exposure is already higher. I don't get flu shots and have never had the flu, but if I worked in a hospital, I'd probably WANT to get one.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">