• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Forced vacation WITHOUT pay

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bobbarker

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? New York

Hi, I have a question on forced vacation time without pay. My dad, and a few of his co-workers, were recently told they have to take about 4-5 weeks forced vacation without pay. He stands to lose about 4,000 dollars of his salary. Can this be done? Also, back in March He had taken 3 weeks of his vacation time to travel. When he confronted his employer as to why he hadn't been informed of this forced time off that was to take place during the summer, at that time, he was told that because he was excited about his trip she (his boss) didn't want to ruin his plans. If he was told then, however, he would have postponed his trip and used that vacation time now, instead of taking a forced vacation without pay. Can his employer do this? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Sockeye

A company can do that, although if he does have any vacation available he or his other co-workers should be able to use it.

He likely can collect unemployment though, chech with the DOL of your state.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No company in any state is required by law to provide any vacation at all. That being the case, the company can make whatever rules they want to regarding its use.

Yes, it is legal to force an employee to take upaid leave during a period of shutdown or whatever. While it would have been nice of them to have provided them with more notice, they did not have to do so. Nothing in your post suggests that any laws have been violated.

I like Sockeye's suggestion that he try applying for UI. It can't hurt.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">