• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Forced to be a volunteer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kybrd

What is the name of your state? Oregon

I work for a private ambulance company full time, in a small town where I live. We also have a volunteer association whose members sign up for shifts when I am not working my paid hours, covering a minimum of 24 hrs. a month as well as a mandatory meeting and drills. It is now in my job description that I (or whoever works my position) has to be a volunteer with the association. I do the same thing at work as I do as a volunteer, except respond from home when there is a call.

It's not that I don't want to volunteer, but is it legal for them to force me to do it? Seems like that takes the volunteer out of volunteering!

Katy W.

Not lawful. FLSA violation. Call your department of labor/wage and hour division and keep track of unpaid hours.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">