• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Forced to work through HELL, or lose my job.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NOLAHelp2005

What is the name of your state?Louisiana
I work/worked at a hospital in downtown New Orleans. For hurricanes the employees are either assigned to work either during or after a hurricane, based on if the mayor calls for an evacuation. Needless to say, I was required to work during hurricane katrina, or lose my job. So I went to work, reluctantly, and it was HELL. For 5 days, we had no running water for toilets are showers, no electricity except for a backup generator that was used only when needed for medical purposes, and not enough food or water to last 5 days without rationing. We were finally evacuated by air boats, only to be shot at while trying to get to drier ground. We buses to the airport and had pretty much no other option than to fly to San Antonio.

My question is: With the federal, state and local government knowing that New Orleans would suffer the damage and chaos that it did, with the hit of a catagory 4 or 5 hurricane, shouldn't someone be responsible for putting my life in danger. I feared for my life. And still to this day I have nightmares about drowning. And best of all, the CEO of the hospital I work at, stated in the local paper that he knew the hospital could not withstand the effects of high winds and flooding from a hurricane. Who should be held responsible for neglecting and endangering my life?

Caligirl1971

Who should be held responsible? Isn't the answer ultimately, YOU? I cannot even imagine what you all went through down there, but I would feel it safe to think that once your life was endanger, a job would be the least of your worries. Based upon what you wrote, you are able to leave when the mayor calls for an evacuation, which he did.

I am sure their is someone you could sue, but what are your real damages? Can you imagine how scared the hospital patients must have been? Some unable to help themselves and being totally reliant on people like yourself for their survival. God Bless you for staying and doing what you could.

NOLAHelp2005

Everybody in New Orleans was given a mandatory evacuation, except for emergency and medical staff. So in my case, I either went to work or lost my job. Is that legal? My thing is, we now find out that the government did a test scenerio a couple months ago of what would happen if a catagory 3, 4 or 5 hurricane was to hit New Orleans. They came to the conclusion that everything that happened during Hurricane Katrina would actually happen. Knowing that, everybody should have been evacuated, including hospitals.

Caligirl1971

AGREED, however I don't know that you have actual damages. You are ticked off, yes. You were put in great danger, yes. Should you be grateful that you are alive, yes. I would be stark raving mad myself, but I do not think you are in a position to sue the government.

zippysgoddess

What is your job position? Medical workers and some hospital staff are required by law to work, no matter the circumstance, evacuation or not. This is taught in even basic Nurse's Aide classed and starting nursing/medical classes.

MY DH was a Nurse's Aide for several years, then he worked in a personal care home, then moved up to manager for many years. You are told this, in the beginning, when you first begin to pursue these types of careers, or interview for the job positions.

So yes, they can require you to work under those circumstances, whether you like it or not, if you don't, then pursue a different career field.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">