• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Forced to work whenever, wherever they want

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mothugsta

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

To keep it short and sweet, I am a cable TV installer, and I was hired in my local city to install cable/internet. There was no mention of working elsewhere, or traveling.

There are other cities/regions that sometimes need help because of quota / understaffing issues, and my company will often take volunteers to go help them out. We travel in company trucks and company-paid fuel, and are paid for travel time. There is no incentive to drive the techs to do this, if anything it will be for less money, than what we would make if we stayed working where were are. It is not uncommon for the management to say, "It''ll be just for today", or "I promise you will only have to work there for a week" and then change they're mind, and a week turns into a month. I volunteered to work in Tennessee for 3 weeks for them, and I was forced to stay there for 6 weeks once my 3 weeks were up, and I live in Pennsylvania. Hotels/food were paid, and there was no option to drive home on weekends, because of the 6-day work week. Was I worng for not getting it in writing ? EVERY tech is afraid they will be fired, or treated unfairly if they don't comply. These decisions are often made last minute, and your scheduled day-off is non-existant. It has gotten to the point where we are all forced to travel 1- 1 1/2 hours away to work in another city and drive home that night. I worked 15 hours 2 days ago, and had to be to work 5 hours later again to do it all over again, with only 4-5 hours of non-working hours (sleep) in between. is this legal ?

justalayman

as long as you are getting overtime as appropriate and any breaks the law requires (didn't check if your state actually requires breaks or lunches), they can work you 24/7

mothugsta

Well, our safetly director is always pushing the issue of falling asleep while driving, and we should pull over to nap. I suppose I can throw that one at them, so I can at least get some sleep.

justalayman

many states do have laws that restrict a person from driving while drowsy. That would be a ticket you would suffer though.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">