• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Forcing to sign new contracts while employed.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tgalambv

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? New Jersey home office, Virginia employer

My employer recently sent me several forms to sign and complete including "At Will Employee", "Secrecey and Disclosure" and "Respect for Patents". I have been an employee for almost 18 years and never had such documents in my file nor was ever asked to sign the same when hired.

Can I be forced to sign these documents? Can I be terminated if I won't?

Am I covered through an "implied contract" since I have worked in this capacity for nearly 18 years?

Since I have no agreement to be an at-will employee, does that mean that I am not?

I bluffed them with a reply that I contacted an attorney who advised me that I need sign nothing. Three months have gone by and no counter-reply yet. I would like to be prepared since this is a large company and a reply might be stewing.

Thanks.

tgalambv

I wish you addressed more of what I wrote.

Essentially, you are stating that if I refuse to sign a contract that agrees they can terminate me at will, they will terminate me at will! If so, wrongful or not?

I need some feedback from someone who's up on implied contracts.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Except in the state of Montana, you are an employee at will unless you are operating under a bona fide contract that says you are not. So whether you do or do not sign these forms has no bearing on your employment at will status - it's not signing these forms that makes you an employee at will, you are one already.

But refusing to sign an acknowledgement of that fact can be construed as insubordination, which is a termination offense.

seniorjudge

tgalambv said:
I wish you addressed more of what I wrote.

Essentially, you are stating that if I refuse to sign a contract that agrees they can terminate me at will, they will terminate me at will! If so, wrongful or not?

I need some feedback from someone who's up on implied contracts.
In other words (see cbg's post) there ain't no such critter as an "implied contract" here.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">