• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

A forgotten past! Need help quick!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JVP

What is the name of your state? CA girl needs help! I currently work for a security company and they did a back ground check going back 7 years...Well I told them they could go back 50 yrs cause I had nothing on my record and have never been to jail or court...Well, we got a new account in Los Angeles and I went up there to get my fingerprints taken and to get another background check and it came up I had something on my record!! I told my supervisor the only thing I could even think about is when I was between 18-20 (which is 20 years ago for me) I shoplifted some cigarettes and a bottle of booze. But I only remember getting a ticket! SO now I'm probably going to get fired for something that happend 20 years ago! Is there anyway I can go to court and get this taken off my record? I have a clean record and only remember that one incident. I need help quick. Thank you!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I don't know enough about expungement laws in your state to answer your question.

However, even if it were expunged tomorrow, that wouldn't change the fact that from your employer's perspective, you falsified your application. You said you had a clean record and you didn't. They might wonder, as I do, how someone can "forget" that they had been caught shoplifting. You only remember getting a ticket, fine. But that's still going to be on your record - what on earth makes you think it wouldn't!

Your employer can legally fire you if they think you falsified your application (which, btw, you did, even if I am being too cynical and you really did "forget" - the information was still false even if you didn't deliberately falsify). So even if you can get it expunged, it won't help you with this employer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">