• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

form I-9 question employee verification

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dillon

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Republic of Texas

left my previous job making good money and I got a job OFFER from another company, passed their drug test with flying colors, filled out the I-9 by writing " FIFTH AMENDMENT " across the entire form and signed my name with all rights reserved.

Can the company fire me for not possibly/maybe incriminating myself when I signed and filled-out this form?

also I am not domiciled in the District of Columbia or the territories at this time.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
If they hire you in the first place, yes.

ETA: They're not firing you for "not possibly/maybe incriminating" yourself - they are firing you for failure to provide the required documentation.

left my previous job making good money and I got a job OFFER from another company, passed their drug test with flying colors, filled out the I-9 by writing " FIFTH AMENDMENT " across the entire form and signed my name with all rights reserved.

Can the company fire me for not possibly/maybe incriminating myself when I signed and filled-out this form?

also I am not domiciled in the District of Columbia or the territories at this time.

sandyclaus

What a hypocrite. You cannot claim not to be a citizen of the great United States, yet still rely upon the Constitution when it suits you.

tranquility

The employer needs to make sure the I-9 (at least some parts) are properly filled out by the employee. If the employer does not terminate you immediately when you fail to properly fill in the form, they can be penalized by the government. If you do such foolishness, they break the law by not firing you.

Dillon

If they hire you in the first place, yes.

ETA: They're not firing you for "not possibly/maybe incriminating" yourself - they are firing you for failure to provide the required documentation.
I am not required to incriminate myself if the information can be used against me in a court of law.

If I can't be punished directly by Gov. without due process (complaint and trial, etc.) I can't be punished indirectly thru the company.

I thought I was presumed innocent till proven quilty?

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Its my understanding, if I can't be punished directly by Gov. without due process (complaint and trial, etc.) I can't be punished indirectly thru the company.
This just further clarifies your lack of understanding.

Dillon

This just further clarifies your lack of understanding.
What about the Job offer and me leaving my previous good paying job in good faith?

Can I be fired by this company for exercising my Rights?

If you don't know it's OK.

Last edited:

tranquility

What about the Job offer and me leaving my previous good paying job in good faith?

Can I be fired by this company for exercising my Rights?
Not only can they, they must.

Look also to the Supreme Court decisions on taxes.

Now, why are you being silly? What point are you trying to make?

Sockeye

Funny how the people that scream the loudest about "rights" are the one's least likely to understand others have the same rights as well.

Yes, it's within your rights not to complete the form, it's certainly within the rights of the company to not hire you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">