• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Formal offer for employment made - then withdrawn

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dbenjami

What is the name of your state? IL

My company is based in OR.

My current employer formally/verbally made me an offer to take a new position within the company which would result in my relocation to Oregon and a bonus of $10,000. For various family reasons, I accepted and jumped at the chance of making that move.

Not only did my company make the formal offer to me, they told me to notify my accounts in the midwest that I would be moving on, and they made a formal announcement on a staff call that I had been given this new job. Additionally, only 1 week ago I was asked if my house was on the market yet and that they wanted to get me in the new role ASAP, which I was accomodating that fast time table.

My company has now come back and informed me that my job change is now "off," and I will need to continue to cover my existing territory in the Midwest.

Can they legally take this job change off of the table after they formally offerred me the position and I accepted?

I don't see any legal reason why they can't rescind the offer, but it sure would be nice if they gave you the 10 grand anyway! I'd be pushing for that part myself.

dbenjami

Just for hypothetical-

Let's say I would have immediately put my house on the market and sold it immediately based on their offer, would they have been required to follow through in that scenario?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No, but you might have had a case for detrimental reliance in that case. They would not have had to follow through with the transfer, but they might have had some financial obligation to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">