• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Former Employee cannot attend performances???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jsp196

After resigning from a teaching position at a private high school, I have been prevented from attending public performances (open to anyone) put on by the theatre department at the school. The only basis for denying me admission is that I was previously an employee. Is this reason enough to prevent me from attending performances if I am willing to purchase a ticket? Why or why not? I have never been a distraction or negative influence nor do I cause problems, etc. The basis of the prohibition is that a parent does not feel it is appropriate for me to be there. And in fact, the students all WANT me to attend.

This is in California.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Yes, this is legal, and is no different from you deciding whom you do and do not want visiting in your living room.

HomeGuru

jsp196 said:
After resigning from a teaching position at a private high school, I have been prevented from attending public performances (open to anyone) put on by the theatre department at the school. The only basis for denying me admission is that I was previously an employee. Is this reason enough to prevent me from attending performances if I am willing to purchase a ticket? Why or why not? I have never been a distraction or negative influence nor do I cause problems, etc. The basis of the prohibition is that a parent does not feel it is appropriate for me to be there. And in fact, the students all WANT me to attend.

This is in California.

**A: you have not given us the complete story. Other current and past employees can attend such events.

jsp196

As far as I know, it's never come up before (other employees returning). And how is this different from a restaurant not allowing you in for no particular reason other than you used to work there? Or is that legal as well. I'm not sure.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It's no different. Doesn't matter if it's a school, a restaurant, a hotel, a business office; they have no legal obligation to allow anyone access that they don't want there. Just as you get to decide who can come into your home or not.

justalayman

Have you happened to ask the principal , or other appropriate people, why they are doing this?
Let us know what any of them say.

CarrieT

jsp196 said:

This is in California.
There appears to be more to the situation here. You state that "A" parent does not want you to attend. And you dont state the reason for your resignation. Those are two areas that need more clarification in my opinion, in order to receive a more specific answer.
Apart from that, you state this is a PRIVATE school... meaning it receives the majority of its funding via student tuition, rather than government subsidy (as a PUBLIC institution would). Therefore they have every right to deny access for any school function to whomever they wish.

Carrie

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">