• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Former Employer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

streich3

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL
I worked in IL for XXX from 1997 to 2001. Since ceasing my employment with XXX, the owner of XXX, continues to contact my new employers ( I can't hold a job because he tells my new employer more than he is supposed to according to the law--my date of hire and my last day of work--and makes false statements about me that ultimately result in me being terminated) and:
1. Tells the new employer more than what I believe the IL law states a former employer is allowed to do: hiring date and last day of work.
2. Are his actions against the law? And, if they are what recourse do I have against XXX and its owner?

Last edited by a moderator:

ShyCat

1. Tells the new employer more than what I believe the IL law states a former employer is allowed to do: hiring date and last day of work.
There is no such law. Former employers can say anything that is true, something they believe to be true (even if mistaken), or their opinion.

2. Are his actions against the law? And, if they are what recourse do I have against XXX and its owner?
Only if his "false statements" are in fact slanderous. Note that something like "We fired Joe because we believed he was stealing" would not be slanderous if in fact they did fire Joe for stealing, even if it was a mistaken belief and Joe was not actually a thief.

swalsh411

How does the owner find out where you are working and why does he still hate you so much after 9 years? There has to be more to this story.

eerelations

...why does he still hate you so much after 9 years?
Maybe because the OP keeps posting his name in public forums?

OP, the other responders are correct - employers are legally allowed to say anything they want about former (and current) employees as long as what they say is true, or they believe it to be true.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">