• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Former employer disclosing medical information

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kmellis71

What is the name of your state? California

My former employer in Washington state told a prospective employer here in San Diego that I had migraines and that it affected my work. A little background, while working for this former employer there was a move to a new office, and shortly after that my migraines went crazy. We tried working part-time, but that didn't work either, so I left the job. The problem was environmental, something in that office set them off. I had contacted this former employer a year ago to see if she would be a good reference, and she sounded very happy to give me a "positive reference" (her words).
After the prospective employer spoke with my former employer, he proceeded to call another of my professional references, also a former employer, and repeat what he was told and asked specifically if my migraines had interfered with my work there.
Are these former and prospective employers allowed to disclose my personal medical information like that? I simply state on my resume that I left due to health reasons, regarding the job in Washington.
I am having an inordinately hard time getting a new job and I am worried that this information sharing is hurting my chances. My migraines are no longer an issue and I don't feel it is pertinent to my job so I haven't been disclosing that information.
Is there anything I can do to stop this and repair the damage that has been done?What is the name of your state?

Beth3

Are these former and prospective employers allowed to disclose my personal medical information like that? Yes.

My migraines are no longer an issue and I don't feel it is pertinent to my job so I haven't been disclosing that information. Now that you are aware that your former employer may comment on this, you should inform prospective employers that you had problems with migraines due to an environmental cause before they start calling for references.

Is there anything I can do to stop this No. Your former employer was simply making a statement of fact.

and repair the damage that has been done? You can contact the prospective employer and explain.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">