• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Former employer owes me vacation pay and wants information

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cbakkemo

Good evening, these questions are posed in Colorado.

1. My employer fired me in a fit of anger 1 week ago. To date I have not received my final check to include over 7500.00 in accrued vacation pay. I have filed a complaint and request for mediation with the Colorado Department of Labor however if I read the statutes correctly the CDOL does not have jurisdiction to force payment so whats the point in filing a complaint. Does this mean Ill have to go to small claims court?

2. My replacement has sent me and email requesting assistance in a number of my former areas of responsibility, (ie, passwords, documents, who do I call, how do we do this? and interestingly enough they want a copy of my drivers lic and social security card, etc.). I left the office with nothing, did not destroy data, simply walked out the door with my coat, all the data they need still resides at the office. I do not feel as if I owe these people any assistance as I was terminated and they still owe me money. Do I have any obligation to provide the requested information/assistance?

Thank youWhat is the name of your state?

faithnlve

sounds like they lost your employee file. Your I-9 form would have all this information, or any applications you filled out. Really odd.

mlane58

cbakkemo said:
Good evening, these questions are posed in Colorado.

1. My employer fired me in a fit of anger 1 week ago. To date I have not received my final check to include over 7500.00 in accrued vacation pay. I have filed a complaint and request for mediation with the Colorado Department of Labor however if I read the statutes correctly the CDOL does not have jurisdiction to force payment so whats the point in filing a complaint. Does this mean Ill have to go to small claims court?
Give the Colorado DOL a chance to investigate, it has only been a week, they are real good at recovering wages from employers. I don't know where you read they have the authority to enforce payment, because they do and I have witnessed first hand of them doing so. Just give them some time.

2. My replacement has sent me and email requesting assistance in a number of my former areas of responsibility, (ie, passwords, documents, who do I call, how do we do this? and interestingly enough they want a copy of my drivers lic and social security card, etc.). I left the office with nothing, did not destroy data, simply walked out the door with my coat, all the data they need still resides at the office. I do not feel as if I owe these people any assistance as I was terminated and they still owe me money. Do I have any obligation to provide the requested information/assistance?
It does sound as if they lost your documents. You could always call them and negotiate for your owed wages as a last resort. Let them know you have filed a complaint as well, that might put a fire under them.

Godzuki

You have absolutely NO obligation to assist them in any way with their business, just as they have no obligation to pay you further.

mlane58

Godzuki said:
You have absolutely NO obligation to assist them in any way with their business, just as they have no obligation to pay you further.
Really! Under Wage Order 22 in Colorado, they are obligated under the law to pay his final wages and any accured vaction (which is considered wages) upon being terminated. Unless you know what you are talking about, don't give any advice!!!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">