• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

former employer is slandering me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

billybob1234

What is the name of your state? CA

I am trying to obtain employment as a police officer. I have a B.S. Degree in criminal justice and a CA POST certificate. My ex-employer was and is mad that I quit his business and he is telling my background investigators lies about me to prevent me from getting a new job. I believe he also got one of his current employees to back up his story. The person in question, is someone I only worked with for the first 8-9 months of the 4.5 years that I worked there. I have already been refused employment at one police department because of his lies and he is doing it again at the current department. My ex manager, supervisor and several people whom I worked with will verify that these stories are not true.

Can I sue my ex-employer for damages, or what legal options can I take against them?

JETX

What kind of lies are you claiming are being said???
I ask because I doubt that a former employers reports, unless of illegal conduct, would have that much effect on your background check..... especially since you say there are others that contradict the statements. Presumably, there is more to the rejections than just these unsubstantiated claims.

B

billybob1234

The claim was that I was a racist. That alone is conduct unbecoming a
Police officer and grounds not to hire a person. It is also grounds to fire a person. Allegations are enough these days to get internal affairs and grand jury investigations started on someone in law enforcement.
The Lt. from the department that turned me down said "if we had never heard from that person, we never would have thought that about you." She said I might have to distance myself from that person and reapply in 6 months or a year. She also said "try to get a job with someone who won't try and screw you or try to work for a friend or something".

The Lt. said in not so many words, if it wasn't for my ex-boss I would have had a job there.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">