• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Former employer threatening my safety with false accusations and defamation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tmedina

I'm in Hawaii. I resigned from a company back in October of 2005 because I found out they shorted my paychecks for 5 months and they refused to reimburse me or raise my salary to the agreed amount. There are dozens of other reasons why I quit, but this was one of the main reasons. After I sent them a final demand letter, they sent me an email (Friday afternoon 2/10/06) saying they agreed to pay me the full amount they shorted me, but they want me to go in to the office this week to sign a "confidential separation and release agreement" to protect themselves from any future lawsuits. But on Friday evening I found out through one of their current employees, that my name was used to try to co-hearse a confession out of him, after they accused him of using or selling drugs. They told him that he might as well admit any wrong doing because Trina already "ratted you out" and that's why she was fired. Not only was I not fired, but I barely knew the employees they were interrogating and I definitely didn't rat anyone out. Some of these employees were actually fired and probably think I told on them. I got so scared that I had an incident report written up with the Honolulu Police Department in case I get attacked or something. I was wondering if they could legally hold my check if I don't sign their agreement. Also, could I write my own agreement preventing them from . . . (1) Endangering my safety by using my name for their interrogations (2) Telling people they fired me for ratting people out when I really quit for shorted paychecks and harassment (3) Possibly giving negative feedback to potential employers, etc... For my own safety, I want them to clear my name with whoever they used my name with so I don't get retaliated against for these false accusations. I called the Hawaii Labor Board and many legal advise groups, but they said they don't handle these kinds of issues. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Beth3

I was wondering if they could legally hold my check if I don't sign their agreement. I don't know because I don't know what you mean by they "shorted" your paycheck. Are you saying they paid you less per hour than was agreed upon when you accepted the job? Or are you saying they did not pay you for time (hours) that you worked?

Also, could I write my own agreement preventing them from . . . (1) Endangering my safety by using my name for their interrogations (2) Telling people they fired me for ratting people out when I really quit for shorted paychecks and harassment (3) Possibly giving negative feedback to potential employers, etc... Sure you can write your own agreement but they're never going to sign it. Why would they?

For my own safety, I want them to clear my name with whoever they used my name with so I don't get retaliated against for these false accusations. I called the Hawaii Labor Board and many legal advise groups, but they said they don't handle these kinds of issues. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. If you believe you have been defamed by their statements or your safety endangered, then you should consult with a local attorney.

Gadfly

Also, could I write my own agreement preventing them from . . . (1) Endangering my safety by using my name for their interrogations
How does using your name endanger you?

nailheader

Gadfly said:
How does using your name endanger you?

If someone gets fired, and they think it's your fault, especially if they are the drug user type... I can see how your personal safety is compromised. They will, (at least), come talk to you about it. Ever heard of "gang mentality?" Most people that work together and then get fired together have something in common as well.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">