• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Former Employer Won't Verify Employment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mawilliams24

State of Florida.

I was terminated from my previous employer in April of this year. I have had SEVERAL successful interviews and then they would fall flat. I decided to call those employers to get some feedback to see why I wasn't selected and they ALL stated that they could not verify employment with my previous employer. Do I have any legal recourse? They are interfering with my ability to move on with my life. I really don't want to sue, but if they are preventing me from becoming employed, I would like to get them to stop doing it so I can get another job. State of Florida.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Unfortunately, no law in any state requires a former employer to verify employment.

If all the prospective employer is looking for is confirmation that you actually worked there, do you have copies of your pay stubs or W-2?

Edited to add: You may have legal recourse IF (underline IF) your employer customarily provides references OR if you have recently filed a discrimination or wage claim against the employer, and his refusal to provide verification of employment is in retaliation.

Last edited:

darock61

Similar Situation in VA

I had a similar situation in Virginia. I've had some opportunities for better paying jobs but since one of my previous employers (Sprint) will not verify my employment and layoff, I am not able to proceed in the hiring process. Can I file legal action to force them to provide dates of employment, position and salary?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The law has not changed since the thread you hijacked was created. There is still no law in any state that requires an employer to verify employment.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">