• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fraternization Termination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cschwies

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?
Minnesota

I was terminated for fraternization with an hourly employee. I am management. The policy reads as follows:

1. Management personnel are allowed to date hourly employees who work in the same building. Managers who date hourly employees who work in their building are subject to temination.

2. Employees of ___________ are not allowed to dated managers who are their direct supervisors or managers.

3. Additionally, it si good management practice not become personally involved with any employee as to create situation leading to perceptions of favoritism or any other problems which make it difficult to promote harmonious operations. In the case where socializing with hourly employees causes disruptions to the business, the managers involved will be subject to disciplinary action up to and including termination.

Is there some sort of discrimination here because the hourly employee doesn't have any disiplinary actions on them.

Here is the story. I started seeing this girl and after a couple of times of seeing her she told me that that the General Manager had asked her to go to a motel. He is married with children. I couple of weeks later I told her my job was more important and I couldn't see her anymore. A couple of days later I was very sick and was throwing up and I did come to work but I was 25 minutes late and I left 3 hours early because I was so sick. The next day the GM wrote me up for being late. The next day he called me in his office and said I heard you have some dirt on me. I said I didn't know what he was talking about. I took a few days off the next week and the day that I came back the corporate boss was there and said this girl had been crying and said I was spreading rumors about her and the GM. I was terminated for Fraternization.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No, this is not illegal and no, it is not illegal discrimination.

You'll have to chalk this one up to the "possibly unfair but legal" column.

cschwies

It is my understanding that for the state of Minnesota if you have a policy it has to be for all employees and not single out some of them otherwise it would be illegal.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You understand incorrectly.

Illegal discrimination happens only when someone is singled out because of a protected class - race, religion, national origin etc. Hourly vs. manager is not a protected class.

An employer may treat different employees, or different classes of employees, differently as long as it is not for a reason protected by state or Federal law. That is true in all 50 states, including Minnesota.

cschwies

Although it may be legal to forbid employees from fraternizing, all employees must be treated similarly to avoid violations. For example, if an employer reprimands a male employee for dating a co-worker but fires a female employee for a similar infraction, the employer may be committing illegal sex discrimination.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Possibly. Not definitely.

But you yourself said that the difference in treatment is due to hourly vs. management. That is NOT illegal, no matter how you slice it.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Veronica, I think he believes that if he repeats it often enough, he can make it become law.

He hasn't figured out yet that just because he wants it to be true, doesn't mean it is.

cschwies

Well, the hourly girl still works there and she is the one the GM asked to go to the motel and I am not there. I think the GM called corporate and said to get rid of me because he was afraid his wife would find out. So I think under all those circumstances that would be Gender discrimination

Veronica1228

cbg said:
Veronica, I think he believes that if he repeats it often enough, he can make it become law.

He hasn't figured out yet that just because he wants it to be true, doesn't mean it is.
I can fly. I can fly. I can fly. I can.............SPLAT!

cschwies

You guys don't take things very seriously I suppose cause you aren't the ones without a job and having to pay bills.
So I guess I am out of here.

Thanks for I guess all your nasty remarks

Veronica1228

cschwies said:
You guys don't take things very seriously I suppose cause you aren't the ones without a job and having to pay bills.
So I guess I am out of here.

Thanks for I guess all your nasty remarks
Now, don't be bitter. Cbg answered your question, correctly, on the first post but you just won't believe her. I HAD to have some fun with you.

Sorry, but there is no discrimination in your case. If you feel differently then hire a lawyer.

cschwies

actually you guys are wrong cause I already have a lawyer just checking to see how much this place knew what they were talking about. My case already won

So jokes on you

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">