• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

free labor, isn't it illegal?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tk1178

What is the name of your state? California

I went in for an interview today at a new watch store, and everything was going great, and with my 5 years experience in the field I have my foot firmly in the door, BUT one thing struck me odd and don't agree with. They want their "perspective" employees to come in for up to 3 hours for a day or 2 so they can gauge how well you do with customers and repair work, WITHOUT PAYING! Isn't that illegal? And this isn't to do a bench test or anything, it's for entry level positions too!

Beth3

A prospective employee merely shadowing a current employee would not have to be compensated but if the candidate is engaging in any work from which the employer would benefit (such as waiting on customers or doing repair work), then that is compensible.

I suggest you call CA's Department of Labor and see what they say.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">