• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Freedom of Information Act

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tammyq1

What is the name of your state?Al
I am just curious, can an employee use this act to access their personal files at work. A coworker asked about seeing their files and was denied, and said they wanted to know if they had any legal recourse in the matter. I told them I would try to find out. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks :)

Beth3

The Freedom of Information act is a federal law that applies to government records. It has nothing to do with access to your personnel file - that's a matter of each State's regulation on the topic, assuming there is one. (I'm assuming you are not a federal employee.)

Alabama has no law that addresses this, therefore it's a matter of company policy. If they wish to deny employees the opportunity to see their personnel file, they may.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">