• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Freelance Contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

scubadesign

Hi Everyone,

sorry if this is the wrong forum to ask..please move my post if it is. :)

Im starting up a very small web design buisness and i will be using freelance worker, working from home to do most of the work.

I would like to have some kind of contract with them that will keep me and my buisness safe if anything should go wrong but i have no idea what i should put in this. could anyone help or even dirrect me to somewhere that i can find such a thing already?

Thanks in advance :)

scubadesign

Sorry i saw it as being of no use as the freelancer would are based all over the states, uk, and about 3 other countrys.
Also the buisness moves with me and as I will be in 3 differant states over the next 2 months..Im just looking for a world wide contract that i could use.

eerelations

There's no such thing as a "world wide contract" and if someone gives you one, the one thing you can be sure of is that it will be unenforceable world wide.

The contract should apply to the country and/or state where the freelancer resides and works. It doesn't matter if the freelancer goes on a lot of business trips to a variety of places, it's where he/she resides that counts.

Pay an attorney in that part of the world to draft you a contract. It won't cost you a lot and will end up being worth a hundred times more than you paid for it.

scubadesign

there not buisness trips. I just move alot. lived in 3 differant countrys over the last 2 years and god knows how many differant states.

And by World wide i mean a contract that would adhear to law that are commen to most countrys. guess ill have to find an internatinal attorney with a wider knowledge.
thanks for your help just thought i would see if i could get things sorted for free with some advice before spending out to have it done :)

eerelations

Okay, suddenly I'm not sure what you're talking about. First you say you want to hire a freelance worker who will work from home and you want a contract that covers that worker. Then you say you move around a lot and you want a contract that'll cover all the places you move to. So does this mean that you are the contract worker?

If you're hiring a freelancer to work for you, the contract you use covers the freelancer's place of residence, not yours. This contract will remain enforceable as long as the freelancer stays in his/her country or state. You can move around as much as you like, and the freelancer's contract will remain just as enforceable, no matter where you go.

If you're the freelance worker, it's not up to you to provide a contract. However, if your prospective employer doesn't provide one that you like, you are free to decline to work for that employer.

Regarding contract laws that are "commen to most countrys" - there aren't any. If you don't believe me (and why you wouldn't, I don't know - I do have some expertise in this particular area, and many people pay me to give them precisely the same advice I'm giving you), feel free to pay an attorney to tell you the same thing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">