• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

A friend of mine was fired

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cubsfan

Illinois. A co-worker of mine was fired when our boss wanted to send her to training in Michigan, for free but she would have to drive, and she would have to share a room. I heard she said she would only go if she could have her own room, and she was fired. There may have been more to this story since I haven't heard from her since the firing, but I was wondering what kind of rights she has. Also, I heard there were other people who went to the training last year or two years ago who did not have to share rooms, and they were men, so there may or may not be some form of sexual discrimination here.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
When you have some actual facts, come back and share them with us. We can't offer any kind of informed opinion based on "might haves" and "could be's".

As things stand:

1.) Illinois is an at-will state; she can be fired for any reason that does not violate the law - nothing in your post suggests that any laws were broken
2.) She CAN Legally be fired for refusing to share a room with other employees
3.) We would need far more detail than we have to conclude that any kind of sexual discrimination occurred.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">