• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Funny Business

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RWCarnes

What is the name of your state? :North Carolina
About 6 months ago I was terminated from a job of 30 years. I was in management. I was not given a clear answer on why. The manager who took over the plant about a year earlier just did not like me and you could tell it. Anyway I was looking for a job and applied for a position that I knew I could do at another company. I got a interview, and everyone sounded very positive I talked to. I came in the next day and did 4 hours of testing which I know I did well on. Then everything went cold. I had put the name of the manager who had let me go as a reference. I believe that the company called the manager who did not like me and he told them lies about me that caused me not to get the job. I never heard from them again. I applied for a lower position at the same company on several occasions and never got a call. My question is, Is it legal for a company to tell someone who inquires about you lies about you and cause you to not get employed. I know I can't prove it but I would bet my life on this being what happened.

Beth3

Is it legal for a company to tell someone who inquires about you lies about you and cause you to not get employed No it's not legal. If you want to pursue this it would be a civil matter and the burden of proof would be on you to demonstrate that the employer provided false information and that you suffered damages as a result. You can't sue based on what you think may have happened.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">