• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Gave 2 weeks, sent home w/o pay.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fgarriel

What is the name of your state? PA

I gave my "2 weeks notice" to my employer. Upon receiving it, they kept me on for 2 more days. At the end of that day, they told me that they didn't want me to come back for the remaining 8 days of work, and that they would not pay me for those 8 days.

I live in NJ. I work in Philadelphia, PA. Am I entitled to some or all of the pay for those 8 days?

Beth3

Am I entitled to some or all of the pay for those 8 days? No. Under both federal and State law, you need only be paid for the days you actually work.

fgarriel

Thanks for the help. I'll never give 2 weeks notice at a job again. This is the 2nd job that I've ever quit, and both times I got scr***d by it.

pattytx

That's an emotional response. But you need to think about it more.

When you are asked by a prospective employer whether you gave the standard notice (which is at least two weeks), are you going to lie? If you get the reputation of quitting without notice, that is going to look bad when trying to get another job.

Plus, some companies have policies in place that state that some benefits will be waived if proper notice is not given. For example, in states that allow it, a policy could state that earned vacation will be not be paid out if 2 weeks notice is not given.

There's no point in burning your bridges. The employer had every right to do what they did, and it doesn't change the fact that you did the right thing by giving 2 weeks notice in the first place. Remember "two wrongs don't make a right"?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">