• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Gave Notice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kitkat27

What is the name of your state? Texas

I had to tell my manager that I was leaving the company (be/c my interview flight intenerary was emailed to my work address and I knew she would see it). So I told her and said I would let her know after my finaly interview how much longer I could work and said it would be atleast 2 weeks. When I got back to the office she said she had turned in my resignation for me..but still asked for a letter of resignation, and it was for me to leave the company in less than 2 weeks. Meaning that I would be out before August 1st, left with a gap in pay for 2 weeks and no health insurance, when this is not when I would have left the company.

Can she turn in my notice for me? And are they allowed to pay for less than the 2 weeks from the time I gave her the verbal notice?

JETX

kitkat27 said:
Can she turn in my notice for me?
Yep. In fact, they could have (and can) terminate you at any time.

And are they allowed to pay for less than the 2 weeks from the time I gave her the verbal notice?
Yep. They are ONLY obligated to pay you for actual hours worked.... and as noted above, can terminate you at any time, with or without a reason.

kitkat27

one more question...

Texas

How is it that they are still saying that I am not being "terminated" because if I were leaving on my own terms then I would work for 2 full weeks, but when I asked if I'm being fired they said "no".

JETX

kitkat27 said:
How is it that they are still saying that I am not being "terminated" because if I were leaving on my own terms then I would work for 2 full weeks, but when I asked if I'm being fired they said "no".
Just a matter of semantics. Quit, fired, resign, terminated... who cares?? The bottom line is... they do not owe you for pay you did not actually work and, you are not expected (or allowed??) to come to your usual work desk.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
They are saying resigned, because you are the one who instigated the action. YOU are the one who went looking for (and accepted) another job. They did not fire you; you decided you didn't want to work there any longer. They have no legal obligation to allow you to work out your notice and they have no legal obligation to pay you for any time you did not work, whether you would have stayed through your notice or not.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">