• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Gave notice, then they fired me!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

harviel

What is the name of your state? Alabama
I gave a 4 week notice to my employer (attorney) that I intended to quit. The notice was in writing and I copied the appropriate partners. Within an hour after delivering the notice, the 2 senior partners came into my office and with the door open told me that my services were no longer required effective immediately. 1 of the partners told me I would be paid for a full 2 weeks (I had already worked a full week into the pay period) and the other one (my supervising attorney) said I would be paid strictly for the hours worked. Today was payday and I received pay for 3 days (there were 2 days that should have been given to me as holiday pay because I worked the days prior and the day after). I had always been told that if a person gives a notice, the firm must buy out my notice if they decide to fire me prior to the date of notice. Is this true?? This has really put me in a bind as I didn't have another job lined up when they did this to me. I just knew I didn't want to be there any more. I would appreciate any help I could get on this. Thanks

Beth3

I had always been told that if a person gives a notice, the firm must buy out my notice if they decide to fire me prior to the date of notice. Is this true?? No, this is not true. Someone told you wrong. You need only be paid for the days you actually worked.

This has really put me in a bind as I didn't have another job lined up when they did this to me. I just knew I didn't want to be there any more. Apparently they felt the same way. While it would have been nice of them to pay out your notice period, they aren't required to.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I had always been told that if a person gives a notice, the firm must buy out my notice if they decide to fire me prior to the date of notice. Is this true??

No, it is not true.

You were not fired. You gave notice and they accepted your notice effective immediately. This is perfectly legal. They have no legal obligation to pay you for anything other than time actually worked.

Depending on your state law you MIGHT be entitled to unemployment for your notice period. It is exceedingly unlikely based on the facts in your post, that you will be eligible for UI for any time beyond that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">