• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

General Release in MD

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jfortoul

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland

I just signed a General Release to receive severance payments on a bi-weekly basis. If I start a new job prior to the end of the weeks included in the agreement, am I required to communicate my start ate to my employer and thus terminate the payments?
There are no provisions in the letter which state so.
The only thing that the agreement states at the end is,
"I further agree that should I breach any of the provisions of this General Release, and in addition to any other remedy XXX may have for a breach, including, but not limited to specific performance of the provisions, I will immediately return the value of the consideration set forth in Attachment A and pay all reasonable attorney fees incurred by XXX pertaining to the breach of this General Release and/or its enforcement."

swalsh411

Absolutely not. Whether or not you start at a new job has no bearing on your severance pay and your former employer has no right to know. This is not like with unemployment where you must report all income when you file claims. (or stop filing alltogther once you become gainfully re-employed).

sandyclaus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland

I just signed a General Release to receive severance payments on a bi-weekly basis. If I start a new job prior to the end of the weeks included in the agreement, am I required to communicate my start ate to my employer and thus terminate the payments?
There are no provisions in the letter which state so.
The only thing that the agreement states at the end is,
"I further agree that should I breach any of the provisions of this General Release, and in addition to any other remedy XXX may have for a breach, including, but not limited to specific performance of the provisions, I will immediately return the value of the consideration set forth in Attachment A and pay all reasonable attorney fees incurred by XXX pertaining to the breach of this General Release and/or its enforcement."
Does the terms of the release require you to remain unemployed? If not, then there should be no reason why obtaining a new job should void the agreement, stop the payments, or require you to repay payments received after securing new employment.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
While I am always hesitant to try to interpret an agreement that I have not read, I would tend to agree that if there is nothing in the agreement that says you have to report it or that severance stops if you get another job, that you do not have to and it doesn't. There is certainly nothing in the law requiring you to report a new hire date or that automatically stops severance if you become employed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">