• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

To the gentleman who thinks he may be overcharged for his appeal.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

commentator

Yes, in my expert opinon, you are. That seems a very high cost. And one doesn't have to be an attorney to know that unemployment insurance hearings are not civil court hearings, they are agency hearings, and they are not usually dramatically influenced by whether or not you have an attorney. Because they are designed to be user friendly enough for a layperson to get through, either an employer or a former employee. What can be said and prsented is dramatically limited by the structure of the hearing.

You should be able to go through your own hearing and present your own material unless your verbal abilities are extremely limited. Your attorney's brilliant presentation of the facts is not going to alter them very much. And he/she may not even be very experienced in unemployment insurance law anyway, most people, even attorneys are not.

And unemployment insurance is not much money, even a whole claim. It is finite, even if you win, you don't get a lot of money, not as much as you'd make working at almost any job, so even if they could alter the facts or argue your case for you (which they will not really be able to do) you would not win enough to make this worth their time. We assume that if the appeal is denied, they're not charging you anything, correct?

But if you go into the unemployment hearing with the attitude you have displayed here so far, perhaps it would be best to let someone else do the talking.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Yes, in my expert opinon, you are. That seems a very high cost. And one doesn't have to be an attorney to know that unemployment insurance hearings are not civil court hearings, they are agency hearings, and they are not usually dramatically influenced by whether or not you have an attorney. Because they are designed to be user friendly enough for a layperson to get through, either an employer or a former employee. What can be said and prsented is dramatically limited by the structure of the hearing.

You should be able to go through your own hearing and present your own material unless your verbal abilities are extremely limited. Your attorney's brilliant presentation of the facts is not going to alter them very much. And he/she may not even be very experienced in unemployment insurance law anyway, most people, even attorneys are not.

And unemployment insurance is not much money, even a whole claim. It is finite, even if you win, you don't get a lot of money, not as much as you'd make working at almost any job, so even if they could alter the facts or argue your case for you (which they will not really be able to do) you would not win enough to make this worth their time. We assume that if the appeal is denied, they're not charging you anything, correct?

But if you go into the unemployment hearing with the attitude you have displayed here so far, perhaps it would be best to let someone else do the talking.
I was terminated for Willful Misconduct,
https://forum.freeadvice.com/hiring-firing-wrongful-termination-5/attorney-charging-me-too-much-my-appeal-581807.html

I can understand why that OP was terminated. :cool:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
If he signed a fee agreement with those terms and that is what the attorney is charging him, then he is not overcharged. he is being charged the amount to which he agreed. Is it more than others? Yes. But he agreed to pay it. He decided it was worth it if he agreed to it. If he didn't hire this attorney, then the attorney will not charge him anything because he will not be the attorney's client nor utilizing the attorney's services. If he did agree to this, then it seems as though he is attempting to get out of paying for the services for which he contracted.

No opinion here is going to help him fight a fee dispute. That would be based on the local climate and what the Bar believes is overcharging.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">