• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

get sick=get fired(?)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ahhhsolitude

What is the name of your state?I am in California. I work as a chef for a woman who is a wretched tyrant. I had food poisoning that put me in the hospital for 3 days about 2 weeks ago :eek: . California law states the health department has to be notified. I did that. The nurse at the health department said she would call my boss and explain that I cannot be released back to work until I am uncontagious. I found out the next day she did not. I called work and left a message on my boss's voicemail explaining my situation and asked her to call me back. She never called me back. I also called several other times to no avail. I did hear reports of her from others that she was talking a bunch of untruths about me and why I "just left one day and never came back or called"...and "left her high and dry". I have my doctors notice. Can I sue for wrongful termination and do I have a civil case for what she said about me?
Thanks for the input,
ahhhsolitude

BelizeBreeze

ahhhsolitude said:
What is the name of your state?I am in California. I work as a chef for a woman who is a wretched tyrant. I had food poisoning that put me in the hospital for 3 days about 2 weeks ago :eek: . California law states the health department has to be notified. I did that. The nurse at the health department said she would call my boss and explain that I cannot be released back to work until I am uncontagious. I found out the next day she did not. I called work and left a message on my boss's voicemail explaining my situation and asked her to call me back. She never called me back. I also called several other times to no avail. I did hear reports of her from others that she was talking a bunch of untruths about me and why I "just left one day and never came back or called"...and "left her high and dry". I have my doctors notice. Can I sue for wrongful termination and do I have a civil case for what she said about me?
Thanks for the input,
ahhhsolitude
No, you do not have a 'wrongful termination' case.

And you did just leave one day and never came back. you have no civil case for libel. Libel is UNTRUTHS.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It is YOUR reponsibility and no one else's to notify your place of employment of your absence. When you delegate that responsibility, you run the risk that they will not follow through. Since it was your responsibility and not anyone else's, there was nothing illegal about firing you for job abandonment, nor is there anything illegal about your employer saying so.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">