• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

getting fired over having to go to court

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chaosdragon1020

What is the name of your state? GA
i just got fired for going to court. i put the notice in about a month ago. and the manager still put me on the schedule. if i didn't show up to court id would of been served a bench warrant. can they fire me because i had to go to court???

Betty

Yep - since Ga. is an at-will state, you can be terminated at any time for any reason as long as it is not an illegal reason such as age, sex, religion, etc. unless you had a contract to the contrary.. . . .Just as you could have quit at any time for any reason. It might not seem fair to you but it was not illegal.

pattytx

I take it this was on a personal matter? Then yes, it was legal, although I understand your dilemma and I don't necessarily agree with how it was handled.

What is the name of your state? GA
i just got fired for going to court. i put the notice in about a month ago. and the manager still put me on the schedule. if i didn't show up to court id would of been served a bench warrant. can they fire me because i had to go to court???
If you show up at work wearing a green shirt, I would fire you because I don't like the colour green. Yes ... it is legal. So firing you for going to court is most certainly legal.

Gadfly

We yes it is legal and yes it is wrong, but were you fired because you had a court date or because the manager forgot and you didn't get with him to work it out?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">