• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Getting Fired for Reporting Defective Products

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

GettingFired

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

I’m an engineer for a mid-size company, probably 1000 employees.
A few weeks ago, I complained to my supervisor about some dangerous/defective electrical products for which I was responsible. I was immediately told how much money it would cost to recall/rework these products. I received an email from a high-level manager that told me not to send any additional correspondence on the issues, or discuss any defects.
Within a week or so, I received a Warning Letter from HR. They asked me to resign, and I refused. My boss assigned me about a thousand hours of additional administrative (written reports) work to get done within the 30 days. I’ll probably be fired in a few weeks for “not meeting my job requirements”.
Someone’s going to be killed or hurt by these products.

Our Sales people don't want any of this info leaking out:
- Last week one of our customers had a fire, and the customer is blaming our products.
- Some of our customers have rejected huge percentages of our products due to defects.

My questions:
- I frequently work at home, and have backup copies of related emails and documentation at home. I'm certain they consider this “proprietary” information. What response should I provide if they ask for this stuff when I’m terminated?
- If this goes to court, can they sue me for releasing this “proprietary” information as evidence in a civil trial?
- Can I be sued for these defective products after I leave?
- Any advice regarding my exit from the company? Should I document all this stuff for the HR folks?
- Any advice regarding what type of attorney should I seek?

Basically I just want a decent severance, and to get the heck out of this company, but the job market isn't so hot right now.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">