• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Getting out of non-compete agreement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wordgirl

What is the name of your state? Michigan

I need to get out of a non-competitng agreement-is this possible? Should I ask them, since I have been there less than 60 days, about letting me out of it, or is this unlikely? Can they fire me for asking? Do I need a lawyer? The agreement prevents me from working for any place in competition for 12 months after I leave (I am still there). Any ideas on how to go about this and whether I have any recourse? My old job wants me back

Beth3

Nobody here can possibly advise you because we haven't read the non-compete nor can we know how your employer will respond if you quit to work for your prior employer or ask to be released.

If you want to know whether the terms of the non-compete are enforceable, which depends entirely upon the specific language in the agreement and the relevant case law in your State, you'll have to show the document to an attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">