• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Getting Out Of A Non-compete In Pa

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

GYRO22

PENNSYLVANIA

Ihave signed an employment agreement that includes a non compete clause that states;

"I shall not accept directly or indirectly, nor shall i enter into any contract or consulting assignment with the above named client for a period of one year following the termination of my employment with (said staffing firm) and/or one year following the date transcribed below.(5/28/03) Unless authorized by a representative of (said staffing firm). "

The contract has a start date of 5/28/03 and an end date of "indefinite". I have an opportunity to work for another company that works with the same client and to make a higher salary and benefits. I have tried to talk with the staffing company but they want 30% of 1 year salary as a buyout which I consider ridiculous.

Is one year from the termination of the contract reasonable for a staffing company to impose on an engineering contractor?

Is an indefinite end date legal?

Is 30% a reasonable buyout?

Do I have any options to get out of this contract or should I just let them sue me considering they are requiring the full buyout anyway?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Stressed

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Only an attorney in your state who has read the ENTIRE agreement can answer your questions.

JETX

I agree with cbg that you would need to have this agreement reviewed by an attorney, but can offer the following:

"The contract has a start date of 5/28/03 and an end date of "indefinite". I have an opportunity to work for another company that works with the same client and to make a higher salary and benefits. I have tried to talk with the staffing company but they want 30% of 1 year salary as a buyout which I consider ridiculous."
*** Obviously, you should have requested a COMPLETE review of the 'buyout' terms and gotten them in writing BEFORE you agreed to sign the agreement.

"Is one year from the termination of the contract reasonable for a staffing company to impose on an engineering contractor?"
*** It is not unreasonable.

"Is an indefinite end date legal?"
*** Based on your post, it isn't indefinite. The end date is one year from the termination of your employment.

"Is 30% a reasonable buyout?"
*** Depends on the specific skills and market demands.

"Do I have any options to get out of this contract or should I just let them sue me considering they are requiring the full buyout anyway?"
*** That would be your choice after discussing this with an attorney.

For more, go to:
http://www.soglaw.com/noncompetearticle.htm

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">