• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

getting paid "under the table"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

O

ogma_anun

i started working at a law firm that handles real estate recently in south carolina. i am a college student, and have never been trained in real estate or legal matters at all. they immediately had me "post closing" packages, signing papers as well as notorizing them, which was a confusion in and of itself. the girl who trained me spent 30 mins doing so, and i was left alone to struggle through hours of tedious legal documents that i didn't understand. recently, there have been many complaints about the packages i sent out. documents were improperly signed or left out, and i have been given the job of filing papers as a punishment. when i was first hired, the lawyer for whom i work told me that he would pay me "under the table" so that he would not have to withhold taxes from my paycheck. he implied to me discretely that i didn't legally have to report the earnings, and now i am worried. they do not have any documentation that i work for them, they merely write me a check every two weeks. recently, they have talked about having me fill out some paperwork, and i do not know if i should fill them out or not. does this mean they will begin taking taxes out on me? or will they keep paying me, and require that i pay the taxes myself? i somehow feel that they are cheating me by doing this. i also feel that they want me to sign the papers because they are going to sever my employment with them soon and need documentation for legal purposes. i've tried to check on these laws myself but i'm slightly confused. please give me any advice that you can!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">