• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Given 14 hours to resign or accept demotion

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

harley07860

What is the name of your state? NJ
I was called in my boss's office this afternoon at the end of the day. He is the CFO and overlooks the E-commerce Department which I supervise. I have had excellent reviews at this company for the 3 years and 11 months I have worked for them in this position. I was told that due to the deteriation of morale within the department, I can accept a demotion to an non-supervisory position within the department or submit my resignation. I was told that I had not supervised and/or provided good leadership for the department within the last three to four months.

My boss is in a separate location and been a 'remote' supervisor. He had spoken with the 5 people I supervised at a time that I was not in the office. Three have been in the department for at least one year, one has been there less than a year and is moving out of state today, and the last one has just joined the department less than a month ago.

Other than an informal discussion with my boss last week, regarding the general structure of the department and ways that I was trying to become a better manager, I did not have a clue to this event. I even asked him if the discussion was formal or informal. He stated that it was informal. I did discuss that spirits were low from the staff being over-extended for the last few months and I had asked them to discuss what I could do to improve the situation personally.

Do they have the right to ask me to resign or accept demotion without warning? I do not want to accept the demotion ($10k less a year) and continue to work with these people. If I resign can I receive unemployemtn on being wrongfully requested to terminate. If I am fired, how do I get another job with that skeleton in my closet?

Beth3

Do they have the right to ask me to resign or accept demotion without warning? Yes. Fair or unfair, that's more than they have to do. They could just fire you on the spot.

I do not want to accept the demotion ($10k less a year) and continue to work with these people. If I resign can I receive unemployemtn on being wrongfully requested to terminate. (a) This is not a wrongful termination and (b) if you resign, you very likely won't be eligible for unemployment benefits.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">