• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

giving notice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

TucsonRat

What is the name of your state? Arizona

I work for a large call center in Tucson. They often fire people with very little cause, and let them go with no notice. When someone gives 2 weeks notice, sometimes they let them stay for the 2 weeks, other times they 'walk' them.

Question: what is the law regarding giving notice? I have been offered a new position and don't know if I should give notice because they could let me go immediately. Finances are a major concern, so I don't want to jeopardize this 2-weeks pay.

What is the law here? If I give notice and they walk me immediately, do they HAVE to pay me 2 weeks pay?

Thanks!

JETX

"what is the law regarding giving notice?"
*** Unless you have a contract or union agreement, there is no law as to notice. Simply, you can leave the minute you quit.

"I have been offered a new position and don't know if I should give notice because they could let me go immediately. "
*** Agreed, the employer can simply tell you that they accept your resignation, effective immediately. There is no obligation for them to maintain your employment or to pay you during that notice period.

"Finances are a major concern, so I don't want to jeopardize this 2-weeks pay."
*** Simply, you have no option or choice in this. The decision is purely the companies.

"What is the law here?"
*** See above.

"If I give notice and they walk me immediately, do they HAVE to pay me 2 weeks pay?"
*** No. They are only obligated to pay your for the actual hours worked.

Beth3

What I suggest you do is to contact your future employer and tell them your company has a history of walking people to the door when they give notice. Ask them if that happens, whether you can start your new job right away.

I do suggest you give two weeks notice as a courtesy to your present employer and because it's always in an individual's best interests to leave a job on favorable terms, but make the call first and find out if you can start sooner than expected if you should become available right away.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">