• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

giving notice before quitting

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

contractSlave

I am working in California.

I have a contract which states that I must give my employer at least 60 days notice before I quit. Is this legal? Everyone I speak to seems to believe that I cannot be obligated to more than two weeks notice, but I'm not so sure. The amount of notice I have to give makes it very difficult to change jobs, since I either have to risk unemployment or find a potential employer who is willing to wait at least two months between hiring me and my start date.

C

carebearsmom

Most companies ask for a notice. Usually, if you give the required notice, you are then eligible for rehire. If you do not give the notice, you are ineligible for rehire. In addition, some companies can also refrain from paying your vacation, sick days, etc if you do not give the required notice. So, it is not REALLY a requirement, but something to consider as far as your benefits and work record.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">