• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Giving out Board of Directors address

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

Tam_67

What is the name of your state? TX

I work for a non profit organization. I was terminated for breach of confidentiality. I was asked by a client what the president of the boards address was and I gave it to them. Isn't the address and phone numbers of any board public knowledge. Also you can find this persons name, number, and address by looking in the phone book.

Is this grounds for termination?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Yes. Whether the client could have gotten the information elsewhere is irrelevant. YOU did not have the authority to give it out. The termination is perfectly legal and most likely justified. I know that's not the answer you want to hear, but that's the way it is.

BTW, in an at-will state (which is every state except Montana and even includes Montana in some instances) an employer does not need "grounds" to terminate you, any more than you need "grounds" to quit.

HomeGuru

Tam_67 said:
What is the name of your state? TX

I work for a non profit organization. I was terminated for breach of confidentiality. I was asked by a client what the president of the boards address was and I gave it to them. Isn't the address and phone numbers of any board public knowledge. Also you can find this persons name, number, and address by looking in the phone book.

Is this grounds for termination?
**A: if your employer deems it so.

Beth3

Yes, it's grounds for termination if the employer wishes it to be. Whether that information is publicly available is not the issue; the issue is whether it was appropriate for you to give that information out without authorization to do so. Many employers elect not to give out information on their employees or Board members without the individual's express consent.

Sorry this happened. You'll have to chalk it up as a lesson learned the hard way.

T

Tam_67

Thanks, I appreciate the answers.

One more question if you dont mind. Could this keep me from getting unemployment?

Beth3

It could but I tend to doubt it. Unless the company had a specific rule or policy that expressly prohibited giving out this information AND you were aware of the rule, then it's unlikely what you did amounted to "willful misconduct" and thus will be eligible for UC benefits.

T

Tam_67

Thanks I really appreciate all your answers. Have a happy and safe holiday!

HomeGuru

Wowie!!!!!!!!!!!!
With you two hot ones, I'd like to try the reindeer twist and the jingle bell rock.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">