• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Giving out partial SSNs?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

joe555

Since apparently it upset people that I posted on an older thread (even though it was similar topic), here's a new one -

What about giving out your last 4, or as I've recently been asked, your last 5 to a recruiter (even if it's a known/valid company)? I'm very leery about such things and remain annoyed as hell, frankly, that this is asked for. It should NOT be part of a job application - I get the need if they want to do background checks/etc, but hey, offer me the job contingent on that first. This is usually accompanied by a request for "only" my birth date minus the year. How much risk is there with this? My concern is the more they ask, the easier ID theft becomes, so again where to draw the line - what if someone asks for my "last 6?" That's practically the whole number - it just gets easier to figure it all out - thx

justalayman

What "upset" (although I was not upset but merely asking you practice a bit of courtesy for others) about necroposting is I spend my time reading the entire thread only to discover somebody has tacked something on the end and the situation I just spent time learning about was a total waste.

Very few entities can legally require you to provide your ss#. The only question is: can they deny service or action if you refuse to provide it.

From what I have found, there is no (federal) law preventing a business from doing business with you if you refuse to provide it. That does leave one in a tough spot but, from what I can see, there is no legal basis they must change their practices.

This is one of those issues you should contact your legislators about as it would require a change in the laws to make the situation change.

joe555

First off, you should have gone to the end of the thread to see what new posts were made vs reading the whole thing, so the waste of time was on you, not me.

Second, all you've done (again) is complain and did not address or answer my question at all. If you don't have any answers, it would save everyone time if you simply didn't bother to respond.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
First off, you should have gone to the end of the thread to see what new posts were made vs reading the whole thing, so the waste of time was on you, not me.

Second, all you've done (again) is complain and did not address or answer my question at all. If you don't have any answers, it would save everyone time if you simply didn't bother to respond.
You're sure hitting it off here. :rolleyes:

ETA: Your concerns were addressed. It seems that you don't like reading a couple of lines, much less an entire thread.

joe555

You're sure hitting it off here. :rolleyes:

ETA: Your concerns were addressed. It seems that you don't like reading a couple of lines, much less an entire thread.
Another snotty non-answer. What a surprise. You want a lack of reading comprehension, look in the mirror.

I did address your questions.

Enjoy your ignorance
Pot meet kettle. You did not answer my question. If you have no idea of an actual answer - and clearly you don't - there would have been no crime in just saying so. I didn't ask if they were legally permitted to ask for my SSN, which I already knew. Read much?

In fact, the only thing either of you have done is act like obnoxious asses. You're quite good at it, FYI.

LdiJ

Well, since you prefer not to apologize for being discourteous to the volunteers here, expect that nobody is going to bother assisting you. We are volunteers...we don't get paid for doing this.

commentator

I worked for many years with government agencies involved with job placement and hiring by all sorts of companies. We took thousands and thousands of applications for many companies. Every so often we'd run into some loudmouth turkey who was all up in the air about having to give their social security number (because of identity theft) or who did not want to give their birthdate because it would expose them to some massive governmental or fifth column plot to take over the country and subvert the whole status quo by obtaining from THEM this information that they have already got on roughly fifty thousand other people.

I never, ever heard of anybody who got their identity stolen in this manner. But you know what happened to those who didn't want to participate? They call them "the chronically unemployed." Not crazy enough for disability, but too bent to function appropriately in the real world. The whole application process for recruiters and for companies is one of screening out the trouble makers, the unwilling to cooperate or participate, those who think THEY are really special somehow and shouldn't have to go along with the other sheep in the world. Get hold of someone who doesn't want to use the right color ink, who doesn't care to provide the dates as requested, or refuses to give you their social security number, first four, last five, whatever, and you've got someone you didn't want to hire anyhow.

You come here the wrong way, you get all prissy because people tell you to ask your question differently, and then you get all into it with the people who do bother to answer you and you don't like the answer. Says lots about you.

Last edited:

eerelations

Whew, what a loser!

OP, I actually know the answer to your question! However, since I am always loath to share my hard-earned knowledge with childish rude jerks, I won't be telling you said answer. :p

Proserpina

Joe555, you're a disgruntled Broncos fan, aren't you?

I can tell.

No, seriously - I can tell these things.

It's okay. It's okay to be angry at <every other team in the NFL, but most angry at the Seahawks>. But y'know, Peyton's Pilgrims made a really bad decision in Seattle and that's just how it goes. Next time I bet you anything that they'll wait until after the game before hitting the bowl.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">