• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Giving out work information

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

Dancertootie

What is the name of your state? FL

I did a search for what I am about to ask but I didn't have much luck.

I'm really not sure where to post this so I apologize in advance if I put it in the wrong place.

To give a little background, I went to work with someone and the person I went to work with is the one who signed me up with the company and the procedure was at that time for whoever enrolls you, to take down all your personal info so you can get paid, such as your bank account info and social security number not to mention your address and phone number.

Well, recently this person had a falling out with some people I know. This person gave out mine and another coworker's information to a stranger on the internet. We know this because for one, the person who recieved it admitted it and posted the personal info on a website and threatened to use it, especially the bank account info. Also, they couldn't have known our personal info unless our coworker gave it to them.

The company has been notified about this activity but I do not know at this time what they will do about it. All bank accounts have been closed as well.

My questions are, other then this, is there anything else that we can do to protect ourselves?

Did this person do anything illegal by giving out our personal info without our consent or threatening to use it?

That's all I can think of right now.

Thank you for your time.

Beth3

Your concern is completely understandable but no, nobody has done anything illegal. You haven't suffered any consequences of this co-worker's actions, other than the inconvenience of opening new bank accounts and closing the old ones (which was a very smart move on your part.)

If a fraud had been perpetrated, then the person who gave out your information might have civil liability (i.e. you could sue them for damages) but that's a topic for a different board. The employer has no obligation to take any action against the employee who posted this information but in my opinion, they ought to fire that person pronto. What they did is outrageous.

It sounds like you've covered most of the bases in protecting yourself that you can at this point but other things you might want to consider is contacting the three major credit agencies to report the publication of your social security number. They can put an "alert" on your credit information - what you want to guard against is anyone opening up any credit lines or taking out credit cards in your name. Unfortunately, all the info I have on this topic is at my office and I won't be there for several days, otherwise I could share specific web addresses and information with you.

If you do an internet search on "consumer fraud" and "ID theft," you will find ample information on this topic and steps you can take to protect yourself.

D

Dancertootie

I'm in the process of calling the credit agencies now.

Thanks for your help. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">