• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

giving a reason for letting me go

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lzurinsky

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

I have been working for a company since June (3rd) and just got let go today at the end of my shift. The director of HR said he did not have to give me a reason for letting me go. I knew this was coming not because I wasn't doing my job but because this is how they treat their employees. My questions is does he have to give me a reason for letting me go? Also, I had been working for my husband for the last 4 years part time and there just isn't enough money coming in to support my pay. So another question would be since I have worked for the last 18 months (like michigan law requires) how would this effect my husbands business and his payment in unemployment insurance payments?

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

I have been working for a company since June (3rd) and just got let go today at the end of my shift. The director of HR said he did not have to give me a reason for letting me go. I knew this was coming not because I wasn't doing my job but because this is how they treat their employees. My questions is does he have to give me a reason for letting me go? Also, I had been working for my husband for the last 4 years part time and there just isn't enough money coming in to support my pay. So another question would be since I have worked for the last 18 months (like michigan law requires) how would this effect my husbands business and his payment in unemployment insurance payments?
They don't have to give you a reason, but since you weren't doing your job, don't you think that is reason enought:rolleyes:.

In fact if they treat their employees so badly and you hate it so much that you refuse to earn an honest living by doing the job you're actually paid to do, then I'd say they did you a favor.:D

donkort

But she WAS doing her jjob, apparently. She stated it WASN'T because she wasn't doing her job that she got let go.

At least she has the part-time gig with her husband.

ecmst12

If you file for unemployment, your husband's business MAY be taxed, but maybe not since you were at the new company for more then 6 months (barely).

pattytx

If your husband's business has very few employees, even a single UI claim wouldn't affect his rate much and even if it did, it wouldn't be until 2011. 2010 rates have already been determined.

commentator

And, what better way to get a recompense for the unemployment taxes he does pay in for his business than to help his wife draw unemployment? It really will come out in the wash. At the present time, all employers in almost every state are being taxed very heavily, due to the unemployment rate, so one employee drawing will not make it that much worse (since it's already about as bad as it can get.) And after all, YOU'd be receiving money. File away.

When you file for benefits, you'll tell them exactly what was said to you. Then they (employer) will be contacted for their reason for termination.At this time, you'll be recontacted and they'll discuss the reason for termination given by the employer and make an initial decision to give you benefits or not. So you'll find out why they say they're terminating you in the U.I. process.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">