• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Good Cause

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mkabwilliams

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Idaho

I'm currently employed in Idaho. My Wife and kids are in Oregon and my wife and I have decided to file for divorce. Part of our agreement is shared custody of our children. So I'm trying to find a job now over in Oregon in order to move back. But I have 6 months to do so at the end of which I'm going to have to give me notice and move over with out a job if I haven't found one by then.

Do you thing this would be a good cause case for collecting unemployment if that should happen?

justalayman

no. although it is great you want to be closer to your children, moving closer to them is not a legitimate reason for quitting and as such, you would most likely be disqualified for unemployment benefits.

There is nothing mandating you move so it is your choice to do so and as such, it is a voluntary self termination which generally DQ's you from unemployment bene's.

commentator

commentator

Some states are fairly lenient about the "quit to move with spouse/family concerns" issue. Unfortunately for you, Idaho is not one of these. Moving to be with family members is considered a personal reason to quit the job, which does not meet the needs of the employer and is not work related.

You will have to file unemployment against your Idaho employer, even though you'll be living in Oregon, since Idaho is where your base period wages were earned. You are obligated to follow their unemployment regulations.

Hope you can find another job in the area where you want to live. Have you talked to your current employer about transfers, references, etc? If they find out you are leaving and decide to lay you off or fire you prematurely because of it, then you could sign up for unemployment.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">