• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

A good swift kick in the ****

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

Pfaffing85690

What is the name of your state? Johnson Atoll

I just ran across this and got a great laugh out of it. Thought I'd share.

Betting on Disability

Barroom injuries are a foreseeable consequence of sending employees to boring destinations, at least according to a recent decision from the U.S Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit.

The court upheld an award of disability benefits to Hawaii resident Michael Ilaszczat for injuries he received as a result of a barroom bet he made while assigned to Johnston Atoll for business. The atoll is a two-mile-long chemical and nuclear arms dump located about 700 miles west of Hawaii.

Faced with little to do while dispatched to the isolated U.S. possession, Ilaszczat frequented a local social club and bet a group of U.S. soldiers that one of them could not perform a high-kick without touching him. Ilaszczat won the bet when a soldier’s attempt left him kicked to the ground and in need of an artificial hip.

Kalama Services Inc., the employer which sent Ilaszczat to the island, opted to fire him after the incident led the U.S. military commander to bar Ilaszczat from Johnston Atoll. But an administrative board and judge decided that paying for Ilaszczat’s artificial hip was a better course of action, given that its lack of entertainment makes Johnston Atoll a "zone of special danger." The 9th Circuit agreed, reasoning that "horseplay of [this] type" is the risk employers take when they send employees to such dull destinations.

P

Pfaffing85690

You aren't kidding. I'm getting ready to head to Florida to sign a contract for the new application I just completed. Then I'll REALLY retire.

Ya, sure :rolleyes:

Beth3

Up until this point, I thought my State was the winner for the stupidest-ever WC decision: employee on a sales trip who after the close of his business day when to a bar, got drunk, drove quite some distance to a camper he kept in the woods (eschewing the hotel reservation his employer had made for him in town), and passed out on the doorstep. Astonishingly, the State Supreme Court found the employer liable for the claim for frostbite and related injuries.

So nice to see the courts continuing to undermine the concept of personal responsibility or having any accountability for one's own actions, no matter how idiotic. :rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">