• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

got dui after employer sponsered party/ then terminated

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

luropa

i worked for an outback steakhouse as a waiter. they had an employee party at a bar/party center to celebrate their 5th yr since opening. at this party they handed out tickets, as many as we wanted, to get whatever we wanted from the bar. we spent most of the night doing shots at the bar together. i left the bar, felt sobered up and completely fine to drive, and got pulled over and received a charge for a dui. the trial is in feb and is predicted to get reduced. upon the dui charge i lost my lic and became ineligible to drive. i notified my employer and tried to find people to cover my two shifts during the week following the sunday night of the party. ultimately, i couldnt fine anybody to cover my shifts and my boss, who is part owner in the company, decided she was going to let me go.

i know im responsible for myself as an adult, but are they liable for their employees in this kind of situation? what legal actions could i take for them wrongfully terminating me upon me getting a dui driving home from their drunken employee party? every year since they've opened and had their annual party, one person has gotten a dui...including my boss/owner!!

Last edited:

racer72

You were not forced to drink nor drive. You are at fault, no one else is. You have no claim against your former employer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">