• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Got fired after gave resignation notice.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tina Rodriguez

California is my state.

I was having problems with my manager which I presented to the HR. Mgr. and her reporting boss. The problems was not fixed and the company supported her. My complaints was a hostile and violent working environment, inappropriate behavior in the work force. She kicked an employee which I found was inappropriate, I reported it and the HR. Mgr. confirmed it was okay and nothing was going to change about it or about her. It was acceptable behavior for their company. After she found out I complained against her, she became very unfriendly with me. I gave a one week notice today after I decided this was not an acceptable place for me to work in. She read my resignation letter and then fired me instead the same day.

BelizeBreeze

And of course, there was a question in there right?

I guess it was "Can she fire me even though I gave my notice?" and the answer to that is of course you can be. Just because you offered to resign doesn't mean you can't be fired.

They just accepted your resignation early :D

Tina Rodriguez

Fired for resignation notice.

My question is was I fired due to a retaliation for the complaints I sent in previously?
Do I have a case because I was forced to leave before my desire time due to her feelings towards me and my unacceptance to a violent and inappropriate working environment?

Thank you.

Tina Rodriguez
[email protected]

BelizeBreeze

Tina Rodriguez said:
My question is was I fired due to a retaliation for the complaints I sent in previously?
How the hell should I know? Give me the number to personnel and I'll ask them?

Tina Rodriguez said:
Do I have a case because I was forced to leave before my desire time due to her feelings towards me and my unacceptance to a violent and inappropriate working environment?
Nope, unless you can prove you were fired for making the complaint and even then you quit. So what if they decided to let you quit early.
Tina Rodriguez said:
Thank you.

Tina Rodriguez
[email protected]
You're welcome

BelizeBreeze

Tina Rodriguez said:
Serious reply's only! Do not respond if you don't have an answer! Thank you.
Well geee, I guess I misunderstood. I didn't realize you wanted NICE advice. I thought you came to a Legal advice forum to get...silly me...LEGAL ADVICE.

So, here it is in all seriousness. Go to a local attorney, plunk down $200 and get the same advice....OR find a job. :rolleyes:

pattytx

FYI, Tina, Belize answered your nonquestion in the first response. How are any of us here supposed to know why your resignation was accepted immediately; we can't read minds. BTW, this is very common. In the future, if you don't expect to be let go immediately when you resign, then resign effective immediately or at least be prepared to have the employer accept your resignation effective the day you give it. It happens all the time and it is not illegal; nor do they have to pay you through your notice period.

Katy W.

Can I add something? Tina, when you say "do I have a case" I assume you are referring to a lawsuit? No, no, and no; what you are describing is not even close to what is usually considered by law to be a hostile work environment. One little kick, which is basically all you have of substance, does not create a hostile environment for you. One occurrance of anything, except maybe rape or murder, generally does not constitute a "violent and inappropriate" work environment. Even if it did, there is nothing inherently illegal in working conditions that are either occasionally violent or inappropriate. Illegal would be when you are a member of a protected class, and because of your protected status (race, etc.) they termed you, or if they are breaking another law or statute.

Sounds like they actually did you a favor by liberating you early.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">