• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Got fired, collected unemployment, now employer is appealing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CivilRightsRebel

Back in Feb. I was let go for a very generalized reason. I was away on vacation, when I returned I was told to go home...a week later they contacted me and said I was abusing their resources (they gave no examples whatsoever). So I filled for unemployment...collected for a few months and now I have a new job.

Well, a few weeks ago I received a notice from the unemployment office that my previous employer is now appealing my claim stating that they did not terminate me but rather I quit. This is a complete untruth. However I never really was given any paperwork to prove / deny what happened. I did receive COBRA papers from them, but wasn't interested in participating so I threw them away.

So first of all I'm worried how can I prove to the unemployment office that I was fired (basically now it's my word against my employers)

Also, if I win the hearing can I be compensated from my previous employer for time off work (my current job) to attend the hearing? If so, how do I go about it?

I live in Michigan.

Thanks ever so much in advance!

-J

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">